Can you help us? We’re looking for digital language resources for Latin (especially Medieval Latin), Anglo-Norman French, and Old and Middle English.
We already have, or hope to have shortly, the following:
- Lewis and Short, Latin Dictionary (Perseus)
- Du Cange, Latin Glossary (thanks to Andrew Dunning)
- Digital Anglo-Norman Dictionary
- Middle English Dictionary (U. Michigan)
- We’re also aware of the Dictionary of Medieval Latin from British Sources, but not sure how far advanced that project is.
We’re not just looking for ‘proper’ dictionaries; basically, we really need word lists, especially common spelling variations.
To be usable, resources must be in a structured text format and free to use. Ideally, we’re looking for a database or tagged XML, but as long as there’s some sort of regular structure (eg an HTML table or list) it may be useful. They don’t necessarily have to be available online.
But we can’t use PDFs or scanned images.
We will be very happy to obtain any necessary permission from resource owners and give them credit when the project launches.
If you have any ideas, please leave a suggestion in comments below or tweet @MedMSSO, with URL or contact information where possible. (Comments are likely to be moderated, but they will appear eventually and will be noted.)
All help will be gratefully received!